Personalize the plight of an endangered animal with a powerful portrait.
1. Extinction occurs naturally when an animal's environment changes too fast. Today the natural environments of many endangered species are changing because of humans. Animals are put on the endangered species list when there is an immediate danger that they will become extinct if something is not done to save them.
2. Big cats on the endangered species list include the Siberian tiger, Bengal tiger, jaguar, snow leopard, clouded leopard, and ocelot. These cats are some of the most powerful animals in the world. Their existence is seriously threatened by poachers. There are only 400 or 500 Siberian tigers and perhaps 4,000 Bengal tigers in the wild today. Research other reasons why these animals are endangered, such as drought, development, and destruction of the rain forest. Study these creatures in more depth, and note details about their faces and markings.
3. Cover your work space with newspaper. With Crayola® Watercolors and Watercolor Brushes, paint a powerful portrait of one of these animals. How can your painting tell the story of the big cat's future? Dry flat.
Adult supervision is required for any arts & crafts project. Observe children closely and intervene as necessary to prevent potential safety problems and ensure appropriate use of arts and crafts materials. Some craft items, particularly beads and buttons, are potential choking hazards for young children. Avoid use of such small parts with children younger than 3 years. Craft items such as scissors, push pins and chenille sticks may have sharp points or edges. Avoid use of materials with sharp points by children younger than 4 years. Read all manufacturers' safety warnings before using arts and craft supplies.
Crayola Washable Paints—Not for use as body/face paint.
- Poachers may earn as much as $10,000 (U.S.) for one Siberian tiger. Why are these animals so valuable? Are they captured dead or alive? What measures are being taken to stop poaching? What are the obstacles to stopping it?
- Find out what zoos and wildlife preserves are doing to keep big cats and other animals from becoming extinct. Visit a facility and see first-hand the beauty and strength of these creatures. What can you do to help save them from extinction?
- Host an Endangered Species Parade. Invite people to come dressed as their favorite animal. How can your class or community assist groups that are helping to save endangered animals?