Leafy Gold Jewelry
Create unique gold jewelry with nature's finest leaves. Add Crayola® Model Magic® and gold Premier Tempera for a striking keepsake or gift.
1. With an adult supervisor, collect tiny fallen leaves of various shapes and textures. Choose only those that are safe to handle. Wash your hands when you come indoors.
2. Choose one leaf. Flatten a small piece of Crayola Model Magic. Shape it to fit the form of your leaf. Cover your art area with newspaper.
3. To make a pin: Paint the back of your leaf with gold Crayola Premier Tempera and Paint Brushes. Firmly press or roll it into the Model Magic. Carefully peel the leaf away. Dry overnight. On the back, attach a jewelry pin or safety pin with Crayola School Glue. Dry before wearing.
4. To make a pendant: Place a dab of glue on the back of your leaf. Press it firmly into your Model Magic. Brush a light coat of gold tempera on top of the leaf and around the edges. Dry. Punch a hole in the pendant. Thread ribbon through the opening and tie before wearing. For younger students, attach ends together with clear adhesive tape.
Adult supervision is required for any arts & crafts project. Observe children closely and intervene as necessary to prevent potential safety problems and ensure appropriate use of arts and crafts materials. Some craft items, particularly beads and buttons, are potential choking hazards for young children. Avoid use of such small parts with children younger than 3 years. Craft items such as scissors, push pins and chenille sticks may have sharp points or edges. Avoid use of materials with sharp points by children younger than 4 years. Read all manufacturers' safety warnings before using arts and craft supplies.
Crayola Modeling Materials including Crayola Model Magic®, and Model Magic Fusion™, Crayola Air-Dry Clay, and Crayola Dough—
- Keep away from open flames. Do not use to make candleholders, hot plates, trivets, or other similar objects that will be used or placed near fire and other heat sources.
- Do not put in an oven, microwave, or kiln.
- Do not make into vessels/containers that will hold unpackaged food.
- The use of modeling material to make items that look like food is discouraged for children younger than age 5 to avoid their confusion with real food.
- Unless sealed with a water-resistant glaze, do not make projects exposed to or immersed in water, such as boats or outdoor bird feeders. They would disintegrate when exposed to moisture.
- Crayola Dough—contains gluten (wheat flour) as an ingredient.
- Crayola Air-Dry Clay, Crayola Model Magic and Model Magic Fusion are gluten-free. However, they are produced on the same machinery as Crayola Dough which does contain gluten. Although the machines are cleaned prior to the start of each production run, there is a slight possibility that trace amounts of gluten from Crayola Dough may be present in the other modeling compound products. For information regarding specific ingredients or allergic concerns, please call our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-272-9652 weekdays between 9 AM and 4 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Crayola Washable Paints—Not for use as body/face paint.
String-Like Materials—Includes string, raffia, lacing, yarn, ribbon, and other similar material. Children 3 years and younger should not be given any string-like material that is longer than 12 inches. Close adult supervision is essential whenever children use string-like material. When crafts are to be worn around the necks of children 8 years and younger, attach the ends of the “string-like material” with clear adhesive tape, which allows easy release of the bond if the craft becomes entangled or caught on equipment. For children older than 8 years, the ends of the “string-like material” may be tied and knotted.
- Create a leaf-print necklace or pin using other colors of Crayola Tempera.
- Use gold Crayola Premier Tempera to imprint larger leaves on paper. Create personalized wrapping paper and cards.
- To create book covers, use Crayola Tempera and various sizes and shapes of leaves. Print on plain paper or paper grocery bags.