Create whimsical, heart-y creatures for those you love. Make them as decorations for Valentine’s Day or use them any time to say "Thank You!" to someone special.
1. Find out why Valentine’s Day is celebrated. What are the holiday’s symbols? How is the holiday celebrated today? Here’s one way to make a loving creature made primarily of hearts.
2. Use Crayola® Erasable Colored Pencils to draw various sizes of hearts on paper. Cut them out with Crayola Scissors. Color them and write messages using Crayola Twistables. Add sparkles with Crayola Glitter Glue. Air-dry the hearts flat.
3. Twist chenille sticks into a creature shape. Attach your paper hearts to the shape with Crayola School Glue. Add facial features or other interesting characteristics if you wish. Air-dry flat before using your Heart-y Creatures as gifts or decorations.
Adult supervision is required for any arts & crafts project. Observe children closely and intervene as necessary to prevent potential safety problems and ensure appropriate use of arts and crafts materials. Some craft items, particularly beads and buttons, are potential choking hazards for young children. Avoid use of such small parts with children younger than 3 years. Craft items such as scissors, push pins and chenille sticks may have sharp points or edges. Avoid use of materials with sharp points by children younger than 4 years. Read all manufacturers' safety warnings before using arts and craft supplies.
Glitter Glue— WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD—Small parts. Not for children under 3 years. Not for use on skin.
Scissors—ATTENTION: The cutting edges of scissors are sharp and care should be taken whenever cutting or handling. Blunt-tip scissors should be used only by children 4 years and older. Pointed-tip scissors should be used only by children 6 years and older.
- Students who have special needs and younger children may need help to twist the chenille sticks into the form they desire.
- Make animals using other geometric shapes. Create shamrock, leaf, or pumpkin animals and creatures, depending on the season.