Extraterrestrials Visit Earth
What's so great about planet Earth? Attract visitors to our world with a bright travel brochure.
1. Research individual planets of the solar system in small groups to learn about the characteristics that make each planet unique. With Crayola® Metallic Colored Pencils, create a chart on construction paper comparing the characteristics of each planet with characteristics of Earth. Discuss how to make Earth sound more appealing than the other planet you researched.
2. Cover your work area with newspaper. Work together to create a travel brochure advertising the most appealing aspects of Earth that would attract extraterrestrials to visit. For example, you might depict postcard scenes of lakes, oceans, and streams to advertise Earth's unique bodies of water.
3. Make several scenes by brushing water over white paper with a Crayola Paint Brush. Draw with Crayola Washable Markers on wet paper. Dry.
4. Add details with markers. Arrange drawings on a large piece of construction paper folded into thirds to make a giant brochure. Attach drawings with Crayola Washable Glue Sticks. Write captions in Crayola Metallic FX Crayon.
5. Use metallic colored pencils to write facts about Earth. Add humorous, fictional quotes from extraterrestrials comparing Earth to other planets. Sketch space vehicles with Crayola Washable Markers, Crayons, and Colored Pencils.
Adult supervision is required for any arts & crafts project. Observe children closely and intervene as necessary to prevent potential safety problems and ensure appropriate use of arts and crafts materials. Some craft items, particularly beads and buttons, are potential choking hazards for young children. Avoid use of such small parts with children younger than 3 years. Craft items such as scissors, push pins and chenille sticks may have sharp points or edges. Avoid use of materials with sharp points by children younger than 4 years. Read all manufacturers' safety warnings before using arts and craft supplies.
- Design travel brochures for other planets using Crayola Metallic FX Crayons, Colored Pencils, and Markers.
- Write facts about each planet in postcards sent back to the home planet in another galaxy. Use metallic crayons and markers to draw the front of the postcard. Write the message on the back with metallic colored pencils.
- What would extraterrestrials bring with them on a visit to Earth? Design a suitcase to hold important items. Fold a piece of large colored construction paper in half to make the suitcase. Add handles cut from paper scraps. Use metallic FX crayons to draw items to put inside the suitcase such as an extraterrestrial wardrobe, camera, and items to trade with earthlings, such as a new crayon color. On the outside of the suitcase, design stickers from other planets using metallic markers.
- Younger children and special needs students may benefit from short practice sessions experimenting with marker techniques before participating in this activity.