Black Bat Silhouette
Learn about bats and try out a new watercolor technique as you create an original silhouette scene.
1. Find information about bats. Where do they live? What do they eat? What do they look like? Describe their daily habits.
2. Cover your work area with recycled newspaper. Dip a Crayola® Watercolor Brush into clean water and wet a sheet of watercolor paper. Wet one color of Crayola Watercolors and load the brush with paint. Brush the color over the wet paper. Rinse your brush and add a second color, blending the colors together. Cover the entire page so the colors resemble a sunset. Dry.
3. On dark construction paper, sketch silhouettes of bats, trees, houses, or other bat-related symbols with a white Crayola Erasable Colored Pencil. Using Crayola Scissors, cut them out and attach them to the picture with a Crayola Glue Stick.
Adult supervision is required for any arts & crafts project. Observe children closely and intervene as necessary to prevent potential safety problems and ensure appropriate use of arts and crafts materials. Some craft items, particularly beads and buttons, are potential choking hazards for young children. Avoid use of such small parts with children younger than 3 years. Craft items such as scissors, push pins and chenille sticks may have sharp points or edges. Avoid use of materials with sharp points by children younger than 4 years. Read all manufacturers' safety warnings before using arts and craft supplies.
Crayola Washable Paints—Not for use as body/face paint.
Scissors—ATTENTION: The cutting edges of scissors are sharp and care should be taken whenever cutting or handling. Blunt-tip scissors should be used only by children 4 years and older. Pointed-tip scissors should be used only by children 6 years and older.
- Create another wet-on-wet watercolor background. Dry. Draw silhouettes using black Crayola Markers.
- Depict a different time of day or season of the year by changing the colors of the watercolors.
- Do a thorough study of bats. Find out why they are valuable creatures, and how to attract them.