Time-to-Study Door Hanger
- recycled newspaper
- cotton swabs
- wooden door hanger
Free to play? Or busy with homework? Hang these colorful signs on your door so you can concentrate!
- 1. Discuss good study habits at home and school. What are some ways to concentrate on homework without interruption?
- 2. Talk about English sentences that have subjects that are understood, such as "do not disturb." What is the subject of that sentence? Brainstorm other sentences with similar construction. Choose a sentence to include on your door hanger to help ensure privacy and uninterrupted study time.
- 3. Cover your craft surface with newspaper. Design a wooden or foam door hanger with Crayola Twistables® Slick Stix™ Super-Smooth Crayons. Blend colors with your finger or a cotton swab.
- 4. Convey the message that you’re busy and don’t want to be disturbed on one side. Use both symbols and words. Decorate the other side to indicate that interruptions are OK. Add fun borders, too!
- 5. Use Crayola Glitter Glue to add cool details and sparkle! Air-dry the hanger before displaying on your door.
Incorporate this into a unit on tallying. Ask students to use door hangers at home. Record number of times they were used and their effectiveness.
Decorate other wooden objects such as boxes or shapes. They make simply wonderful gifts!
Experiment with using Slick Stix on various surfaces including paper, foam, or foil.
Assessment: Students will be successful if they choose an appropriate symbol that matches the word phrase on their hanger. Did they blend colors? Are the door hangers aesthetically pleasing?
Students identify good study habits.
Students research how subjects in some English sentences can be understood.
Students design door hangers with words and images to reduce homework interruptions or invite visitors when studying is complete.
Grades 1 to 3
Grades 4 to 6
Grades 7 to 12
30 to 60 minutes
curriculum standards links
US: Research U.S. Standards
UK: Research UK Standards
Canada: Research Canada Standards
Glitter Glue— WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD—Small parts. Not for children under 3 years. Not for use on skin.
Squeezables® 3-D Paint— WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD—Small parts. Not for children under 3 years. Not for use on skin.
Wood—By its nature, wood is rough and may contain splinters or sharp points
© 2000 - 2007 Crayola, LLC