Skills Children DevelopChildren’s imaginations blossom through art and music. Young children experiment with sounds (voice and instruments), find out how art materials and tools work (dough, markers, drums, streamers), and see how their bodies move (dance, facial expressions, fine-motor skills). Children’s fine arts interpretations of curriculum content, ranging from elephants to calypso bands, lead to creative, in-depth learning.
Setup IdeasEasels, open shelves, tables, clear plastic storage containers, and art and music tools are basic art components. A nearby sink is convenient. Children usually stand to do projects and talk as they create. Space is essential for children to build large structures and move to engaging rhythms.
Arrange materials on low shelves for children’s selection. Enlist their help for daily setup: Mix paints, fill water containers, choose music. Labeled shelves and sponges, paper towels, soap, and waste baskets ease cleanup.
Teaching StrategiesAdults are resources as children learn. Invite children to talk about what they’re doing: "Tell me how you did your project." "You’re leaping into the sky with this music." Encourage children to make friends and work together. Stretch children’s imaginations and skills with inventive challenges. "What do you think would happen if you…."
Guide children as they learn how to make decisions. Offer choices and provide support as they explore art and music. Ask children whether they want to share their ideas, display their creations, or take them home to enjoy.
- art tools: Crayola Jumbo brushes, Crayola easel brushes, Crayola watercolor brushes, craft sticks, smocks, Crayola blunt-end scissors (4 and older)
- collage materials: fabric, ribbon, straws, chenille sticks, craft feathers
- drawing and writing tools: Crayola crayons, Crayola construction paper crayons, Crayola chalk, Crayola washable markers, Crayola colored pencils, Crayola Write Start® colored pencils
- game and dance props: hoops, streamers, tape or CD player
- glue: Crayola school glue, Crayola glue sticks, Crayola glitter glue
- musical instruments: drums, rhythm sticks, cymbals, tambourines
- paints: Crayola washable paint, Crayola watercolors, Crayola tempera, Crayola finger paint
- paper: construction, white, grocery bags, index cards
- prints of fine art, sculpture, cultural artifacts
- recycled: newspaper, boxes, cardboard rolls, produce trays, file folders
- sculpting materials: Crayola dough, Crayola clay, Crayola Model Magic®
- tape: clear adhesive, masking
- various musical recordings: jazz, classical, traditional, children’s